Monday, March 28, 2011

New Casserole Recipe!

Okay, while I'm not mentally or physically a morning person, I sort of have to be for work, and I want to be, so even though it's in my nature to sleep in late and go to bed late, I'm used to my early schedule.  So going to bed at midnight and waking up at 10 is weird for me!  We went to mass at 11 at the Cathedral so my mom could hear their choir which is amazing.  They got to sing for the pope a year or two ago that's how good they are!  So after that long incense filled mass, we went to Carol's for a late breakfast.  We were both starving because we hadn't eaten yet.  I ordered San Francisco Joe's Scramble which is ground beef, spinach, onion, and mushrooms scrambled into eggs.  I got egg beaters so it wasn't too bad.  I did break down and got their hash browns, but only ate 1/2 (I know good hash browns when I see them and theirs are very crispy!) and wheat toast (I should have asked if I could get fruit instead of toast) and I only had 1 piece of toast so I didn't do that bad.
That kept me full for 5 or 6 hours!  It was so good!
After that, we went to the mall again so I could get this head massager we saw at a store in the mall on Friday.  My mom got one, I tried it, and just HAD to get it!  It feels so good! 
We went home right after that so I could put together her bookshelf she got, then we cleaned up a bit around the house, and she left around 7:30 to go back home.
I started throwing together a casserole, just experimenting but I like the way it came out.  I rinsed what turned out to be 3 cups quinoa.  By the directions I saw online, I added 4 1/2 cups water for the 3 cups of quinoa, turn the burner on high to let the water boil, once it boils, turn down to med-low and cover and cook for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.  Fluff with a fork.  It made 6 cups of quinoa and I only used 1/2 of that in the casserole.
While the quinoa was cooking, I browned 1 pound of chicken breasts chopped into pieces.

Then I removed that to a bowl, added a cup of chopped shallots, let them brown a little, then added a pound of cut up mushrooms.
Once the mushrooms were cooked down and browned a little, I added 1/2 cup of marsala wine.
I let that cook down until it almost evaporated.  Then I added 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, 1 can chicken broth, and 1/4 cup light sour cream.

I added the chicken back into the pan, then let it cook down to thicken a little, then added 3 cups of cooked quinoa.

Pour the whole thing into a 9 x 13 pan, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until bubbily.

I took 1/2 serving.  1/6 of the pan is 7 pp.  It was very tasty!  Reminds me slightly of my mom's version of my Grandfather's chicken with rice casserole, except that has cream of mushroom soup in it.  And rice of course....

I'm very happy with the way it turned out.  I may add more chicken next time for protein...

I'm going to start asking questions at the bottom of my posts because I never know how to end them! One thing I was horrible at in English class!

Do you like creating your own dishes, or following a recipe ver batem? 
I am always making my own dishes.  I will go by a recipe then switch it up to my liking.  I'm also bad with writing down my own recipes which I've been told is a sign of a good cook...

No comments:

Post a Comment