Monday, January 3, 2011

Continuing from This Morning

I am trying to go over my "New Years Resolutions" which I know that for about 99% of the people that set them, don't end up going through it, but I am determined to make these changes in my life.  I am a grown up now and I need to act like one.

1. Get healthier- This blog, along with a few other blogs that I'm reading, Weight Watchers, the PCOS book, and support from family and friends is what I am hoping will keep me motivated to do so.

2. Keep up on my clean room.  Now that my room is clean, I want it to stay that way.  I moved things around a couple of weeks ago so it's a fresh start for me.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm a messy person (I'm not a neat freak either), but my whole live resides in one bedroom so it's not easy when you try to keep a cluttered room clean.  Hopefully in a few months, this will change as I'm hoping to find a roommate and get my own place!

3. Do more social things so I am not stuck in my room at all hours of the day.  I have friends here but I need friends that I can go out and do things with, which has been hard for me because I don't know where to look.  I found a knitting club that I may go to one night.  It's at a coffee shop in downtown Sacramento and once a week.  I also joined the Gioventu group which is a young adult Italian group that meets at the Italian Cultural Society, but it's only once a month, and I haven't been able to make it to the Spaghettata's they have.

4. Get more active.  This should probably be part of the get healthier resolution, but I am making it separate because I need to make sure both eating right and exercising are equally important in my life.

5. Plan my meals and exercise in for each week so it keeps me more accountable and I know where my points are going and I have less of a chance to get thrown off track.

I think that's all I have planned so far.  It's a pretty ambitious list in my opinion.  Those are big things.  I am going to start out slowly though so I don't get overwhelmed. 

For today, I am planning on making a modified version of Giada's Chicken Cacciatore.  I use boneless/skinless chicken breasts instead of bone on w/skin chicken breasts and thighs. I am not going to dredge them in flour before browning them, I don't think it's necessary.  I will brown them in a little olive oil, but keep it to a minimum and remove the excess oil when I add the other ingredients into the pan. (Olive oil in moderation is essential for your body anyway) and the sauce is pretty much the same, canned tomatoes, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, spices, but I don't add capers which she does.  She also adds 3/4 cup of dry white wine, and I'm toying with the idea of nixing that all together, or adding maybe 1/2 of that in Dry Marsala (I don't want to open one of my aunt's bottles of wine and I can't afford to get one until Friday) which should be fine.  There will be a lot of sauce though because I got 1/2 of the recommended amount of chicken, but it may end up being okay, I may try to only do 1/2 the sauce but I hate waisting a 1/2 of an onion (they are not safe to keep because the absorb bacteria very easily after being cut)

Anyway, I'm serving that with orzo pasta which has chopped fresh spinach, caramelized shallots, garlic, and a little Pecorino Romano cheese YUM, and steamed broccoli that has been sauteed in a little oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes.  That's what I call a dinner!  I have some mushrooms I should cook too.  I didn't get salad stuff which I wish I had gotten, but this should be enough for a vegetable.  I may not eat that for dinner though because I have leftovers I don't want to go to waist.

I think I'm done for the day.  I'll post tomorrow about what I have gained since my last weigh in (2 weeks before Christmas) and what we learned at the meeting.

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment